1.—Looking after a baby is not an easy job, is it?
A. Looking after a baby is very tiring.
B. I like looking after a baby.
C. No, it isn’t.
2.—could you please help me choose an MP4 player online?
—_____. My computer doesn’t work..
A. I don’t agree.
B. I’m afraid I can’t.
C. I hope so.
3. —would you like to come to our party this weekend?
A. Yes, I had great fun at the party
B. No, I’d like to attend the party
C. I’m sorry that I won’t be able to attend the party
4. —Susan, will you please go and empty that drawer?
A. What for
B. What is it
C. How is it
5. —did you enjoy your college life?
A. Yes, it was rich and colorful
B. No, it is interesting
C. I like my college very much
6. Parents transmit some of their _______ to their children.
A. characteristics B. character C. characteristic
7. Tom won the first prize of oral English contest, which is beyond his _________.
A. reputation B. contribution C. expectation
8. Encouraging the elderly people to participate ____ games is very important.
A. at B. in C. with
9. I want to know _________.
A .what is his name B. that his name is C. what his name is
10. This is an opportunity to ____ the reputation of the company.
A. help B. prevent C. enhance
11. John asked me ____ to visit his uncle’s farm with him.
A. how would I like B. if or not would I like C. whether I would like
12. People _____ foxes ____ clever but sly animals.
A. consider…to be B. consider…as C. consider…X
13. Do you mind me ______ the window beside you.
A. to open B.opening C. open
14. But the internet can bring some ____ effects, too. The most common one, some teenagers are addicted to computer games on the Internet.
A. negative B. positive C. important
15. Nowadays people spend more time exercising to keep _____.
A. fitly B.fitting C. fit
16. Having good friends means sharing happiness and sadness ____ each other.
A. of B. with C. by
17. She ____ the children not to make any noise.
A. tell B. told C. said
18. One big ____ of formal education is the high cost.
A. advantage B. disadvantage C. strength
19. Smartphone makes it simple ___ us _____ take a photo.
A. for…by B. for…to C. to…to
20. The advancement of technology has boosted the pace of our lives, and requires us to learn ____ every day just to stay current in the workplace.
A. something new B. new something C. everything
Although they’re still the lovely young kitten or pup in our minds, your pets need extra care as they reach their senior years. Here’s our list of suggestions to keep them happy and healthy for as long as possible.
Keeping your pet’s diet healthy and notorious (有营养的) is very important at any stage of their life, but as they become old, they need a different set of vitamins and minerals. Different sizes and breeds of pets will have different needs, so it’s worth a quick chat with your vet to discover what they would recommend.
Although they may seem tired and slow for outdoor activities, this doesn’t mean they shouldn’t keep exercise any more. You don’t have to drag them on a 10-mile uphill hike, bet encourage your pet to get out into the fresh air. The sights and smells should inspire their natural urge to trot about and explore again. If they’re lazy, try small indoor games and toys that will keep their mind active.
Fit not fat
If you’re feeding your pet healthy foods in appropriate sized portions(分量) and making sure they’re getting enough exercise, you shouldn’t have an overweight friend at your side. However, if you still think they need to lose a few pounds, you can discuss with your vet how to help them lose weight and keep a healthy weight.
The dreaded vets
Not many people enjoy a trip to the doctors and it’s certainly he same for your pet. But regular checks at the vets can prevent minor health issues from getting more and more serious.
Older pets should be taken to the vet at least once every six months. On your next visit, ask your vet what common issues usually affect their particular breed(种类) such as arthritis(关节炎) or diabetes(肥胖症). You can then be more careful when taking care of them.
21. What is the main topic of the article?
A. How to choose a pet at the pet shop
B. Some tips of looking after old pets.
C. Differences between kittens and puppies.
22. As your pets get older, the vitamins and minerals they need are ________.
A. the same as they were fed in the past
B. less than those when they are young
C. different from those then used to have
23. Which is NOT TRUE according to the article?
A. Old pets shouldn’t keep exercise any more,
B. Fresh air will inspire old pets’ natural urge.
C. If old pets are lazy, just leave them still at home.
24. According to the article, you can discuss with ___ how to help your aged pets keep fit but not fat.
A your vet B. your kids C. your friends
25. Older pets should go for regular checks at least once______.
A. every half a year B. every year C. every month
The Wichita Falls Police Department is trying to help curb crime in neighboring communities throughout the city. On Saturday Wichita Falls Police gave a free two-hour presentation to help locals keep their community crime free.
More than 20 people showed up at the Martin Luther King Center in east Wichita Falls to be part of the presentation.
Wichita Falls Police Officer Jeff Hughes said that they wanted to make sure the folks out there were aware they were doing everything to take away the opportunity from a bad guy.
Hughes reminded those in attendance that their homes outside the presentation could be an open invitation to criminals. One of the biggest ways to prevent crime, according to Hughes is to use CPTED. Also known as Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design.
“The biggest site, that we are dealing with now, that we are endorsing fully, is Nextdoor and it’s simply just nextdoor. Com,”
The site is free and helps locals set up a Virtual Community that they can interact with from the comfort of their own home.
“With www.nextdoor.com it all happens in a web based program where if you send something out it gets to that group or that person instantly, they will get an alert on their phone or an email,” said Hughes.
According to Hughes, he has already seen a positive impact locally from the site and hopes it can continue to expand in Wichita Falls.
26. The Wichita Falls Police Department is planning sterner measures to combat crime.
27. According to Hughes, one of the biggest ways of crime prevention is through environmental design.
28. The biggest site that the police are approving fully is nextdoor.com.
29. The purpose of nextdoor.com is to help locals set up a real community.
30. If you use the nextdoor.com site, you have to pay for it.
Nick was ill for two days. His mother, Nancy Hill, is writing an absence excuse letter to his teacher, Ms. Shirley Hudson. Help Nancy to write the letter. You may use the following hints.