1.—Hello, yang lin speaking.
A. I am carol.
B. This is carol here.
C. Do you know who I am?
2. – Excuse me where is the post office?
– Sorry I’m new here.
A. What a pity.
B. Thank you all the same.
C. Bad luck.
3. —Will you show me how to use this software?
— ________, and how are you?
A. Sure. You’ll master it in no time.
B. You are welcome.
C. Sorry, I’m too late for it.
4. —Dad, this is my roommate, Andrea.
A. Hello, Andrea. I’ve heard so much about you.
B. hope you meet you again.
C. it’s very thoughtful of you.
5.—Do you mind if I smoke here?
—________________. You can go to smoke in the yard.
A. Yes, please.
B. Never mind.
C. You’d better not.
6. Hello, everyone. I’d like to _________ to you our new secretary, Melinda Smith.
A. meet B. introduce C. welcome
7. Your goal is to publish a book and have ______manuscript(手稿)sent out to publishers by November 2016.
A. a B. an C. the
8. I like the working atmosphere here. It’s very _________.
A. funny B. boring C. friendly
9. I think _________ is impolite to call people by their first name.
A. it B. as C. that
10. A letter of invitation is ________ to invite people for a business event or personal occasion.
A．written B．writing C．to write
11. Professor Smith promised to look _________ my paper, that is, to read it carefully.
A. after B. over C. into
12. Children under fifteen are not permitted to see such kind of movies ______bad for their mental development.
A. what is B. which is C. as is
13. The work was done _________ her instructions.
A. according to B. according with C. accordance with
14. She kept on ______although she was tired.
A. to work B. working C. work
15. She hasn’t the funds to _________ her design.
A. make sure B. end up C. carry out
16. He can ______good English.
A. speak B. talk C. say
17. You have more apples than ____do. But ____are better than yours.
A. us, we B. we, ours C. ours, us
18. Does David _________?
A. like flying B. likes flying C. like to flying
19. I usually go to office ______train.
A. at B. by C. on
20. Neither John ____his father was bale to wake up early enough to catch the morning train.
A. or B. nor C. but
If you though handshakes were just a gesture of greeting, then think again! A handshake is not only a way of greeting; it can also show your personality. Since we all want to set a good first impression, it is important to know the right manners for shaking hands.
Stand up and maintain eye contact while shaking hands. If you are seated when someone comes for a handshake, stand up and shake his or her hand. It is impolite to be still seated. Keep right distance between the two of you; not too close, but enough distance to shake your hands well. Keeping eye contact makes the other person feel welcome and comfortable.
Keep a handshake brief and firm. You let go of each other’s hand after 2-3seconds. Make sure your handshake ends before your conversation does. One’s handshake should show a feeling of strength and warmth. The hand should be firm and not lifeless like seaweed. Then, how firm should a handshake be? Just grasp the person’s hand completely and do not press it too hard.
21. Which of the following statements about the significance of handshakes is not true?
A. handshakes are just a gesture of greeting.
B. handshakes are more than a way of greeting.
C. handshakes can show our personality.
22. If you are seated when someone comes for a handshake, you should.
A. stand up and shake his or her hand
B. keep seated and shake his or her hand
C. bow and say hello to him or her
23. Keeping eye contact makes the other person feel.
24. How long does a handshake usually last?
A. as long as the conversation lasts
B. 5 minutes
C. 2-3 seconds
25. Which of the following words can best describe a proper handshake?
A. brief and strong
B. brief and firm
C. brief and soft
Introduce yourself on the first day of work
How to introduce yourself on the first day of work? If you are looking for some ideas, here are some tips for you.
Don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions. You’re new and it’s better to do something right the first time than have to do it again. Nobody expects you know everything.
Smile a lot and be as friendly as possible to everyone you meet- no matter what their position is or how important they are! Use your lunch hours to get together with your co-worker. Get to know them and their interests.
Pat attention to the rumors, but don’t join them. You don’t want to be thought as a gossip.
Don’t complain about your boss, any co-worker, or the job you did before. Continue to arrive early and don’t rush out of the door at the end of the day.
Keep a positive attitude and an open mind. Your life has changed and you will get used to it.
26. Nobody expects you to know everything on the first day at work.
27. You’re new, so you shouldn’t ask any questions.
28. You should be friendly to both your co-workers and the leaders.
29. it’s not polite to learn about the interests of your co-workers.
30. You can leave your office as quickly as you can at the end of the day.
31. Your life has changed and you will get used to it.
32. Since we all want to set a good first impression, it is important to know the right shaking hands manners.
33. Years ago, zoos kept all kinds of animals in small cages.
34. he was too tired to say a word and went to bed at once.
33. Thanks to our hard work, we can fulfill the task on time.